Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Dazzle me...

Okay fellow bloggers and blogstalkers. I need your favorite holiday cookie recipe pronto. My annual cookie exchange is just days away and I want to really spice things up this year. Mint layered brownies will be made, that is a fact, but what else can I wow my guests with? Dazzle me.... or just leave a comment.

By the way... if it weren't for my 'nothing out of a box' rule at my cookie exchange, I would put these on a platter. They are D-VINE and you should consider it a Christmas miracle to live near a Trader Joe's. Thanks Whit for gifting me with my box of Joe-Joe's. I'm rationing them.

7 comments:

Mama Thompson said...

Great Grandma Kron's yummy bars:
1 cube melted butter and 1 1/4 cup crushed graham crackers (I use a food processor) all mixed together.
1 1/2 cups marshmallows
6 oz. choc. chips
6 oz. butterscotch chips
1 cup coconut
1 can sweetened condensed milk (use about 1/2 to 3/4 of can)
Nuts (optional)

press the graham cracker mixture into bottom of 13X9 pan then layer remaining ingredients. Bake at 350* for 20-25 minutes. Let them cool completely before cutting...they are gooey and delicious!

Catherine said...

Amen on the Trader Joe's thing! We don't live near one here but I know all about the scrumptious Joe Joe's!
Let me think on a recipe. I am sure I have many. Oh! I have a good chocolate peppermint one that taste great and looks fabulous too! I will find it and send it over!

Catherine said...

Alexis, instead of retyping the recipe, you can look on my blog for my cookie recipe! I needed to change my recipe on my blog and you gave me just the right idea!

Carly said...

I am in total agreement - those are the BEST joe-joe's ever!! I've been hiding them in the back of my frig ;)

merathon said...

hey--just got your comment on my blog. yes, we did have dinner with the crittendens. my in-laws have known them for years as well and i know kelli through one of my good friends from college.

anyway, i just heard a great recipe that uses candy cane joe-joe's! you just crush them completely and combine with 8 oz of cream cheese, then roll into 1 inch balls and refrigerate them for an hour. then you just dip them in chocolate! apparently, they are amazing little truffles. i think i'm going to try them and bring them on saturday if they turn out!

Whitney said...

ok...candy cane joe joe's have been one-upped. i'm going to try to bring some new ones to FL. candy cane joe joe's COVERED in dark chocolate and sprinkled with crushed candy canes. also found at tj's. let's hope they fit...

Mama Thompson said...

Chocolate Crackles

8 oz. bittersweet choc.
1 1/4 C flour
1/2 C. cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 stick unsalted butter (at room temp)
1 1/3 C. packed lt. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 C. milk
1 C. powdered sugar

-melt choc. and set aside to cool for a few minutes
-sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt
-In electric mixer beat butter and brown sugar (3-4 minutes)
-add eggs and vanilla and beat till combined, add chocolate.
-add flour mixture alternately with milk
-shape dough into flat disk and wrap in plastic wrap, chill in fridge for 2 hours.
-preheat oven to 350*
-use heaping teaspoon of dough and roll into ball.
-roll in powdered sugar (you want it REALLY coated) so no chocolate is showing
-place 2 inches apart
-bake until flat and sugar coating splits (12-15 min)
-rotate the pan partway through.

***The dough is going to be more like a brownie mix when you are finished adding all the ingredients. I just scrape all mine onto plastic wrap and wrap it up. It will be pretty hard and solid after you chill it. As you roll the dough and it warms, it gets sorta sticky and messy on your hands, so I roll them all real quick and put them on a plate, then roll in powdered sugar and put on cookie sheet.

Good luck!!!